Skip to main content

Angels - Review by Evie Wakefield


Written by Pauline McLynn.
Directed by Loreto Murray.
I saw this play five times, twice on the 24th January (Trent Vine Yard Youth Centre), once on the 8th March (Lakeside Arts Centre) & 9th March (Bonnington Theatre, Arnold) and 1st April (Royal & Derngate Theatre, Northampton), because my sister is a member of the Junk Shop Theatre Company who are taking part in the ‘National Theatre Connections 2014’ programme which involves a mini tour around the East Midlands.

Because I have seen the play several times, I have also seen how it has evolved, and I found this interesting, as I normally only see plays once.

The theatre company has ‘dual cast’ some of the main parts and split the company into two groups, these are known as the ‘Shoppers’ and ‘Junkies’. I feel this is slightly misleading as in reality the ‘Junkies’ are understudying the ‘Shoppers’, because the shows are split unfairly in a 4:2 ratio over 6 shows rather than a 50/50 split.

The play itself centres on a group of young people aged 13-18 who meet in a graveyard to take part in a community project. The graveyard is watched over by three stone angels (who have been blessed with the gift of movement!)
The performance begins with the angels singing ‘Someone to Watch Over Me’ (Gershwin) and this musical theme continues throughout the play, with songs including:
  • ·        There Must Be An Angel (Eurythmics)
  • ·        I Am Stretched On Your Grave (Kate Rusby)
  • ·        Thrift Shop (Macklemore) style rap
  • ·        In The Arms Of The Angel (Sarah McLaughlin)
  • ·        Underneath The Stars (Kate Rusby)

Other characters are introduced gradually:
  • ·        A boy who takes shelter in a tomb (Shawn).
  • ·        An elder sister and her brother (Gabby and Dan);
  • ·        Two (sometimes four – depending which version of the play is being performed) over excited childlike girls obsessed with social-media and matching clothes (Lola, Sue, Ella and Lily),
  • ·        A science and history obsessed nerd (Joe),
  • ·        A ‘pregnant’ teen with a bit of an attitude problem (Liz),
  • ·        The leader of the group (Tim)

During the play, the audience learns more about these teenagers’, their pasts and personalities (including underage drinking, grief and loss) and sees their friendships develop.

The artforms involved in this production were drama, comedy, music, vocals and sound effects. There were many skills on show in this actor-musician performance with instruments including:
  • ·        Bass Guitar
  • ·        Cello
  • ·        Guitar
  • ·        Flutes
  • ·        Violin
  • ·        Vocals


Members of the cast also formed the design team who created the set such as the gravestones and angels. Two of the angels are standing statues and one is laying down by a lamb to suggest a weeping angel, grieving over the loss of a child – however I have done my research and my understanding of a weeping angel is one that covers its face with its hands, but as this one is laying down it suggests a Fallen Angel otherwise known as a Devil.

I thought the tone for this play was humorous, emotional and thought-provoking and I felt some of the characters engaged well with the audience particularly Lucas Young (Joe), Aidan Blakey (Tim) and Nikki Charlesworth (Liz).
My favourite aspect of the play was the music especially the violin played by Braimah Kanneh-Mason (who also plays Shawn) and the cello played by his brother Sheku Kanneh-Mason as they moved most of the audience to tears with their beautiful rendition of ‘Underneath The Stars’ by Kate Rusby.

Unfortunately, when audience members laughed at the humorous parts of the play, some of the actors did not always wait for it to quieten down before delivering their next line so some of the meaning was lost. I also felt projection was an issue as was some actors forgetting their lines.

Having watched both versions of this play, (i.e. ‘Shoppers’ and ‘Junkies’) I felt the ‘Junkies’ were more believable as the characters.

I would recommend this for anyone who likes original theatre and for young people who are aged 13+ as there is some language that isn’t really necessary and some people might find offensive.


-Evie Wakefield

Popular posts from this blog

Bring Me Sunshine | Life as a Musical Theatre Student | #1

Studying and training in Musical Theatre is an absolute dream at the moment, I may be a bit left footed when it comes to Jazz, but even when something doesn't go right we give it the jazz hands.

The students are lovely and so talented, it feels weird to be the eldest and occasionally having to (literally) catch up! During my Fine Art studies I was sort of the 'middle aged' student, but the eldest was 47 years old.

To catch up, what's been happening this past month?
I had the opportunity to participate in Lucy Suggate's 'Swarm Sculptures' at Nottingham Contemporary and rehearse in the amazing new Dance4 studio in September.

I also had the fantastic opportunity to go to my first premiere of 'Hood' in Nottingham for a pilot episode for the TV series starring, local singer/songwriter Josh Kemp and a fellow friends and actors, Adam Guest and Mik Horvath.
It was so wonderful getting to finally catch up with them and would like to personally thank them …

Life as a Musical Theatre Student Special | Anita And Me

In absolute excitement, I have been so happy and very fortunate to be back performing as Ensemble with Touring Consortium Theatre Company again in 'Anita And Me' at Theatre Royal Nottingham 14th to 18th March 2017.

THURSDAY | 9th March 2017


It's the first rehearsal, I am always nervous before meeting people but the fact I already know four of the ensemble members makes it just that little bit better,  Michelle Smith, Estelle Smith, Alice Gee and Marcus Whybrow who were also in A Tale of Two Cities back in November 2016.

I have to be honest, it felt a bit weird to be going to the same rehearsal venue where I'm involved with two stage productions which ironically are being toured around the UK and each of the show's are exactly ten days apart - I'm currently involved with this production (Anita And Me) and The Grapes of Wrath.

We have commenced rehearsals on the beginning scenes where myself, Alice and Marcus have to run on stage cause chaos in Tollington with t…

Life as a Musical Theatre Student Special | A Tale Of Two Cities |

You may have noticed in previous weeks, the very delay in posting covers, vlog's and also posting updates! The past two weeks in November have been immersive and utterly incredible.

💖 THURSDAY & FRIDAY ( 17th & 18th )
💖
The rehearsal day had arrived, since finding out my audition was successful in the summer, I had been eagerly counting the days down.

On Thursday (17th) the ensemble also know as the Two Cities Twelves, introduced each other  - luckily I already knew some of the cast ( Mike Newbold, Marcus Whybrow, Michelle Smith and Alice Gee) from previous productions and also as friends but I was certainly thrilled to meet and perform with more like mind and lovely local actors and actresses.
We commenced rehearsing on some of the scenes including 'The Hanging' - which reminded me strangely of my FMP (Fine Art - Final Major Project) earlier this Summer after creating my two five foot puppets.


On Friday we commenced rehearsing the next scenes including my pe…