Life as a Musical Theatre Student Special | The Grapes Of Wrath | In Rehearsals


Firstly, I’d just like to quickly introduce myself, my name is Lucy Wakefield, I am a 20-year-old actress (receiving training in Musical Theatre at New College Nottingham) and a freelance fine art artist from Nottingham. ‘The Grapes of Wrath’ is my second production at the Nottingham Playhouse; previously I performed with the onsite Ensemble company for ‘Animal Farm’ in 2015 in the Neville Studio. 



For this production, I am part of the Community Chorus for this incredible production of 'The Grapes of Wrath'. As there are so many of us, we are divided into teams; Grapes, Oranges and Bananas – a ‘berry’ good way of getting us organised! I should probably explain a little more - Grapes and Oranges perform on alternate nights, and the brave Bananas perform every night.



Overall, the rehearsals have consisted of introducing each other and hoping to remember as many names as possible which has not been too hard as I recognise quite a few from the Nottingham Playhouse Ensemble; team building exercises with the other members as well as ‘blocking’ the scenes and the dance that the Community Chorus are taking part in. For those unfamiliar with the theatre terms; blocking means to position someone or a group of actors for a scene, which can sometimes be a long process.



Currently, my experience of taking part in the ‘The Grapes Of Wrath’ has been incredible, this will be my first time performing on the main stage of the Nottingham Playhouse and I am thrilled to be performing with like-minded people as we work together on such an insightful piece.